Monday, April 5, 2010

Savory Bacony Goodness!

Since its storming tonight I decided it would be the perfect time to try out this Loaded Baked Potato Soup recipe that my friend Nola gave me. Its from Cooks Illustrated Soups and Stews. One word- YUM!

8 slices bacon, chopped
3 pounds (about 6 medium) russet potatoes, scrubbed
1 large onion, chopped
2 medium garlic cloves, minced or pressed through a garlic press (about 2 teaspoons)
2 tablespoons unbleached all-purpose flour
4 cups low sodium chicken broth
1 cup heavy cream
1 sprig fresh thyme (you can use 1/4 tsp dried thyme)
1 pound sharp cheddar cheese, shredded (about 4 cups) plus some extra for garnish( I used a mix of mild and medium cheddar)
1 cup sour cream, plus extra for garnish)
Ground black pepper
3 scallions, sliced thin

1. Cook bacon in Dutch oven over medium heat until crisp, about 8 minutes. (I did everything in my stock pot since I don't have a dutch oven). While bacon is cooking, use vegetable peeler to remove potato peels in wide strips; reserve peels. Cut peeled potatoes into 3/4 inch pieces. Using a slotted spoon, transfer bacon to paper towel-lined plate. Add reerved potato skins to bacon fat in pot and cook until crisp, about 8 minutes. Using slotted spoon, transfer potato skins to plate with bacon.

2. Add onion to fat remaining in pot and cook over medium heat until golden, about 6 minutes. Stir in garlic and flour and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Gradually whisk in broth and cream, stir in thyme and potatoes, and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover pot, and cook until potatoes are tender, about 7 minutes.

3. Discard thyme (if you used fresh) and transfer 2 cups cooked potatoes to a bowl (this is optional, if you want your soup to be a little chunky). Puree remaining soup in batches until smooth. Return to pot and warm over medium-high heat. Off heat, stir in cheese until melted, then whisk in sour cream. Return reserved potatoes to pot (if you removed any) and season with pepper. Ladle soup into bowls garnishing with bacon, fried potato skins, scallions, cheese and sour cream.

The more bacon the better, in my opinion! This soup really is yummy. I hope you enjoy it!
FYI- it took me about an hour from start to finish, but I'm a slow cook, especially when trying a recipe for the first time.

1 comment:

LOVE said...

The first time I did it, it took about an hour. But the second, third, and possibly fourth (lol) times I did it, I cooked the bacon seperately and used some drippings to start the soup. Cuts time in half.