Thursday, April 15, 2010

Belated Easter

Okay so I know the bunny came a couple weeks ago, but he made an appearance last weekend in our neighborhood. A repeat performance for most kids, I'm sure.
On the real Easter weekend we had Josh's family over for breakfast (at 11 am. Is it still breakfast at that point?) then had a little egg hunt in the backyard with the three youngest grandkids. I was not on picture duty like I usually am so I only got a couple. At this hunt Sasha didn't quite grasp the concept of the egg hunt . . .


. . . once the neighborhood hunt started it took a couple of houses, but I think she picked up the idea. Then she got greedy. There were about 50 eggs (or treat bags) in each yard and she didn't understand why she could only have one! She insisted on picking up as many as her tiny hands could hold and putting them all in her bag. Mommy had to do a discreet unload in each yard so that all the kids would have enough. I'm just glad to say that I wasn't the only parent that had to take this approach!

These are all the kids that participated in the egg hunt. About 25 or so years ago a couple of little girls in the circle came up with the idea and they have been doing it ever since. The original kids are now bringing their grandkids. This year there were about 50 kids! We all pitch in and meet for breakfast, and take a picture of all the kids. (Sasha is in the very back, held by one of her favorite babysitters, Vanessa) Then they split the kids into two age groups and send them in opposite directions around the circle. This way we avoid the bigger kids trampling over the little kids to get to the candy. Each house that participates ties a balloon to the mailbox and puts out treats in the front yard for all the kids. It's a really fun tradition and just one more reason I love my neighborhood!
This girl loves her Grandma Lilly! She cried when Josh or I tried to take her from Grandma to go do the egg hunt! And you know how most kids cry when their mothers leave for work? My kid blows kisses and waves me out the door, then cries when I get home from work! On the days she is with Lilly she has so much fun and she just loves her Grandma. She literally climbs up and claws at Lilly just to get away from me. It is nice to know that she is so well taken care of. That has certainly made it easier being at work.

No comments: