Sunday, July 26, 2009

Meanwhile Back at the Ranch . . .

I am telling you, feedings at 5:30 am just don't exist in my world! You may not believe me but about once a month I get thrown into this strange, alternate reality where my kid behaves like 95% of all kids in this world and wakes up hungry before 6 am. This can't keep happening! It's really scary for me and I'm just not a my normal, Mother-Of-The-Year self before 7 am (and sometimes that's even pushing it)! Who's doing this? How do I make it stop?! I can't take the madness anymore!


Okay, enough of the drama. I decided I should tell you what Sasha and I have been up to while Josh has been in China. Wednesday night we went down to G-Pat's house and had dinner with her and my mom and talked about my cousin's wedding. Alyssa was supposed to come but the poor thing had a migraine so she was excused. Then we had a slumber party with G-Pat. It was pretty fun. My Grandma spent days going through all her pictures and put them into books. It was fun to look at all the old pictures of her and Grandpa Dick and Grandpa John. I've never actually met Grandpa Dick because he died when my mom was only 5 or 6 years old. He was such a good looking guy. My mom looks a lot like him. I want to get copies of some of the pictures so I can put them in our family book. My Grandma was so beautiful! She still is, but some of the pictures of her from when she was a teenager and a young mother are just beautiful. At least I think they are. And Grandpa John. I miss him. He's still alive but he has alzheimer's and a few years ago he and my Grandma divorced. She just couldn't handle him anymore so he went to live with my uncle. We don't really see them and my Grandma hasn't heard much. It makes me kind of sad. Then again, its not like I couldn't do more to reach out to him on my own. But I wonder if he would really remember me, especially since I haven't seen him in so long. It might be better if I just keep my happy memories of him in my mind.
On Thursday we stayed at Grandma's until after lunch, then we went and hung out with Amberly and Daxton. That kid is so stinkin cute! He's in that age where he will carry on an entire conversation with you and you will only understand about 3 words he says. But you know that in his mind the whole thing made perfect sense! Amberly made some yummy teriyaki turkey burgers and we had ice cream for dessert. Then we hung out and talked 'til Rob got home.

Friday we ran some errands, nothing real exciting. I took the day off but had to finish up the baby gift for my friend Brian and his wife (after three girls they finally got a boy!) and get it to him before his wife had the baby, so we met up with Brian, Vickie, Kevin and Kevin's wife Deb and had lunch. They were more excited to see Sasha than me, but that's okay. Then we came home and I practiced my domestic skills by making jam. That's right you heard me- I made raspberry jam! I haven't tried it yet, but now it's 6 am and I'm hungry! I'm pretty proud of myself. It wasn't as hard as I thought it was going to be and I got nine jars out of it! I would have taken pictures documenting the process, or at least the end result but my camera is currently on the other side of the world. :) You'll just have to imagine the pretty, raspberry goodness!

Saturday we were almost 100% lazy. We pretty much just lounged around the house until about three in the afternoon. I just couldn't bring myself to do anything productive. But then we went to Target and did the grocery shopping then came home and I at least got the kitchen cleaned up and some extra water on the lawn.
When I was traveling I got hooked on audio books. When I had to drive long distances that was really the best thing to keep me occupied on the road. I decided that even though I'm not traveling quite as much I shouldn't kick the habit. Last month I listened to the biography of Howard Hughes. That was one weird, but highly intelligent man. But don't believe everything you see in The Aviator. He really wasn't the ladies man he was reputed to be. He was actually very shy and awkward with women, once he got them into the bedroom at least. And he was horrible with money! If it wasn't for smart people around him the man would have had no money. A lot of his success had nothing to do with his personal investing savvy and almost everything to do with luck. He was a genious when it came to inventing things, though and made a lot of breakthroughs in technology, especially in the world of flying.
This month I am listening to Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl. I saw the movie and read the book when I was in grade school, but I've forgotten a lot of it. I'm also viewing her from a different perspective. She really grew up a lot in those two or so years that she was in hiding. Her journal entries start out like most 13 year old girls diaries sound, but as time drags on for her she gets very mature. I guess being in a situation like that would force you to grow up a little sooner. But she really was a smart, funny and dynamic girl. I keep wondering what would have happened to her if she had survived the concentration camp. It's kind of ironic to hear some what she wrote knowing what happens to her in the end. Sometimes its almost like she knew what was going to happen, though she really didn't. Maybe she just had a good grip on reality. She wanted to be a journalist. Her diary alone has made an impact on the world. I wonder what would have happened if she had been able to write more, and more freely after the war. I really like this from the book:

"I finally realized that I must do my schoolwork to keep from being ignorant, to get on in life, to become a journalist, because that’s what I want! I know I can write ..., but it remains to be seen whether I really have talent ...
And if I don’t have the talent to write books or newspaper articles, I can always write for myself. But I want to achieve more than that. I can’t imagine living like Mother, Mrs. van Daan and all the women who go about their work and are then forgotten. I need to have something besides a husband and children to devote myself to! ... I want to be useful or bring enjoyment to all people, even those I’ve never met. I want to go on living even after my death! And that’s why I’m so grateful to God for having given me this gift, which I can use to develop myself and to express all that’s inside me! When I write I can shake off all my cares. My sorrow disappears, my spirits are revived! But, and that’s a big question, will I ever be able to write something great, will I ever become a journalist or a writer?

—Anne Frank

That was in April 1944, just a few months before the families were discovered and sent to camps. I would love someday to go to Amsterdam and tour the museum.
I don't exactly lead the most exciting life, do I? While Josh is off, halfway around the world I'm not doing much at all. I'm boring. Or maybe just lazy, who knows. :) Either way, I am going back to bed.

2 comments:

Rachel said...

It sounds like you spent the holiday weekend doing the best activity ever - relaxing! It's better than painting, that's for sure!

Brad Hyde Family said...

I am jealous! Josh looks like he is having an amazing time! The trip of a life time-that's for sure!